Why is the notion of nudity increasing among grey nomads?
They even have a name – Nude Nomads! They are a select group of over 55’s who travel in their self-contained campers, caravans, and motorhomes. Some have homes and families to go back to, some have sold up and live the nomadic life continually, and some just want to get away with the van for a weekend or two. But they all have one thing in common – they like to get their rocks off.
In a world where TV, video games, and movies are filled with violence and sex, we still have this taboo relationship with nudity itself. Ironically, we can view the simulation of sex, but a full frontal, particularly of a male? Not often seen (well, maybe in French films). People automatically associate nudist places with perverts and pedophiles. And you will see them at the beach from time to time, having a perve. Very unsettling.
What if you could offer people a safe place to experience nudity in all its glory? A place where everyone keeps their eyes level with the face. A place where you can feel safe and comfortable to be everything that you are.
And so, why is nudity becoming so popular with the older travelers? Here are 6 ideas:
- Who gives a fork what you look like? Many older people are over the old body image issues that plagued them when they were younger. The boobs sag, the belly pokes out, and there are rolls where there shouldn’t be. But who the hell cares? One of the lovely aspects of getting older is not only that acceptance of oneself, warts and all but the acceptance of others as well.
- Let’s face it. In the main, clothes are uncomfortable and hot in the tropics. I have a wardrobe full of clothes, including bras, I do not wear because they don’t fit right. Too tight, too hot, too short… Who hasn’t packed up a bundle to donate to the Salvos?
- There are significant savings to the environment and the purse when you don’t need to wear clothes. Travelers will save space, money and the planet by not adding to the micro-plastic problem of the oceans.
- Meeting up with people of a similar mindset is refreshing and relationship building. Most nude nomads have met each other in their travels, and become friends. Like any other social group, it is a meeting of minds, not body, that is important.
- I must mention the all over tan. It feels good to have the sun on your body and is a vital part of anyone’s health. Many of us lack Vitamin D because of working years in air-conditioned offices.
- Older people are adventurous and lively, but not in an extreme sport way. This is an opportunity to do something different that doesn’t require a level of fitness, but can still give you elevated levels of adrenaline. Their conservative children don’t understand the appeal, but that’s ok because we don’t give a fork, remember?
Do yourself a favour before you leave this world – try nudity out during a hot spell. You will be cooler, more comfortable, without a care in the world. Honestly, you will even forget that you are baring all.